Thursday, March 6, 2014

Back in the Saddle

Sorry for the sporadic leave of absence. It has been crazy with basketball and trying to get one of issues of the paper sent to press, but I am glad to say that I am back and ready to blog. For my first post back, I am going to talk about 50s fashion, because it is what I wrote my most recent fashion review on. The 1950s is one of my absolute favorite eras because of the feminism and confidence of the women. Most of my favorite brands are now the new fashion houses of designers like Givenchy, Balenciaga, and Dior. You can see hints of the era in almost any article of clothing whether it be by the fabric, the shape, or the accessories. It's only fitting that my idol was having a break through at this time. Audrey, made up by Hubert de Givenchy, always looked so classic and chic. I am also a huge fan of film from this era, especially because of Edith Head. I was thrilled when I clicked on the Oscars and saw that there was a tribute to the classic film age. When I think of 50s film, I think of Audrey and Gracce Kelly in that stunning Edith Head gown in 1955. Like the fall trend, every woman seemed to be her own heroine, and that's why I am drawn to this time period. Women took control of their looks and started doing things the way they wanted to do them. It wasn't about feminism or being equal to men, but about wearing trousers if they wanted to. This acceptance of power is a quality I wish I possessed. Remember girls, press on and just think.. W.W.A.D?






1. Audrey Hepburn, via pinterest // 2. Grace Kelly, via elle.com

To read my article on 1950s fashion, go to GoldenFleeceOnline.com where you can read our virtual paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment